Thursday, May 26, 2011

Art Journaling 101

Before I get on to art journaling I will say that I just got home from Vegas with NO BROKEN BONES! My wallet seemed to take the brunt of the injuries this time, now don't go thinking I'm a crazy gambler or anything but when I go to Vegas I do allow myself to indulge in a little black jack or video poker and set myself a daily 'loss limit'....let's just say I hit that limit everyday!

Moving on to art journaling...I am currently taking Christy Tomlinson's She Had Three Hearts Workshop. I'll admit, art journaling and writing down all my thoughts on paper is not my bag. I've never kept a diary, this blog is the closest I have ever come to that. I'm not that deep. BUT...I have always loved art supplies, they make me happy and Christy inspires me to try other things.

Yesterday I was watching the video where she described her process of doodling and it was like a lightbulb went off! I get it now! So I decided to expand on that idea with a stamp. I created the background on this page with various different inks and stencils (products listed below) and then stamped the houses on white tissue paper. Cut them out and adhered with Mod Podge. It was nice, but then I decided to expand on them by adding paint and doodles and drawing in the hearts and flowers by hand. I started slow, and then just kept adding to it...more paint, more doodles, doodles with paint, more scribbles, etc. Finally I took the definition blocks and also stamped them onto tissue, trimmed close and glued them down with mod podge.


You might wonder, does this page mean something to me? Well yes it does, but do I have a need to write it out? Not at all.

List of products:
julie's building a SCALLOPY house
FAMILY definition block
TRADITION definition block
Crafters Workshop Stencils
Ranger Adirondak Acrylic paint
Liquitex heavy body paint
Liquitex fluid acrylics
Faber-Castell PITT pen brush
Golden fluid acrylics
Claudine Hellmuth studio acrylics
Pilot Permaball Pen
Mod Podge

That's it! I'm inspired and ready to roll onto the next project...finish up some cards for my Mom and EEEK, our Bellarific Friday Navy Green and Kraft challenge....only 4 hours to get that one done! If I can do it, you can too!

10 comments:

Kerri said...

nicely done..glad to hear you had a good time in Vegas..No broken bones that is def a plus..good luck with your card can't wait to see your creation..

CraftyViolet said...

It's always a good vacation when you come home without any broken bones! Love your project! I keep saying I'm going to do a mixed media project but so far they are just in my head!!!

dena said...

Linda, that page is STUNNING! So clever and creative. Bet it would LOOK very PRETTY as a canvas...(hint, hint)
Absolutely love it.

Ebru Vatansever said...

WOW WOW and WOW !!!! I am stunned at how gorgusss this page has turned out. Linda, you are super with your colors and composition !!!!

dolcreations said...

Wow...awesome work Linda! Your work says it all..no need for an explanation!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Wow, you really know how to do altered art. I love seeing all of your work and look forward to seeing another one.

andrea walford said...

This is gorgeous. I'm taking that class too!

Isabelle Norris said...

This is a gorgeous ARt journaling page. Love it

Bren said...

awesome!! I really love it Linda. How nice to be inspired huh?

milkcan said...

You are blowing me away! Gorgeous artwork!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails