Sunday, July 26, 2009

Copic VS Pencils

I occassionally get asked if I prefer copics or pencils. Honestly, I can't say I like one more than the other so a few evenings ago I sat on sofa and decided to take Butterflyabella and color one with pencils and the other with copics and compare the two. What do ya think? I would say I like the pants, grass and shading on the pencil image, but much prefer doing the tiny areas with my copics, like the shirt and the ruffle. And most definitely I like using copics for flesh which I did on both of these cards. And one thing I really like to do is color a base image with limited shading in copics and then go in with my pencils to add some depth! I'll show you that another time.


Are you wondering which image made it on a card? Well, I decided to use the pencil version and if you live nearby you can see it up close and personal because she landed herself a permanent home at Pickle.


I still have something else to tell you and that is how I did the flower. It started out a plain jane white flower and I know that some people take their copic air brush to them. Well, I have one of those...no surprise...but didn't want to pull it out. Instead I used a Judi-kins color duster and memento ink. Swirled the brush into the ink pad and dusted it on the flower! Voila! I also used the color duster around the edge of my image, but it was a little too bright yellow so I ended up sponging on some versamagic Wheat chalk ink over the yellow to tone it down. Another great tip I learned from Paula! One thing that isn't in the picture is that i added some glitter around the butterfly because it just needed to be there!

If you want to give this a try yourself, here are the colors used (even pencils, which I never do, mostly because I can't read the color on the pencil! LOL! new glasses coming soon to a babe near you!)

copics:
E000, 00, 11, 53, 55, 57
BG000, 32, 34, 07, 09, 72
R000, 81, 83, RV00
E40, 41, W3
YG13, G24, 94, 85, 99
colorless blender

pencil:
929 Pink
1029 Mahogony Red
992 Light Aqua
995 Aquamarine
933 Violet Blue
1095 Black Raspberry
943 Burnt Ochre
941 Light Umber
947 Dark Umber
1094 Ginger Root
1072 French Grey 50%

Have a nice day folks! I'm off to give my bedroom a good dusting and wash a couple windows!

10 comments:

Meahni said...

The colours in the copics are definitely MUCH richer. But both images are gorgeous. Thank goodness I don't have this stamp ;-)

April said...

Gorgeous coloring either way!!!

craftyb said...

I also say fab colouring both ways! Thanks for sharing your tips n explanations! bx

dolcreations said...

I have to say they are both beautiful! I don't think I have a favourite because you do justice to both! Thanks for sharing your tips with us!
Christine

Anonymous said...

OMG, they are BOTH stunning and man, how does one choose?? I guess you have put yourself into the UBER-mega talented position of always doing one of each, so we can decide. Well, at least you can do that while on a two week vacation!!!!!!! hahahahahah hmmm, I am off to sulk now and prepare myself for WORK in the morning...adios!!

Kathleen said...

Thanks for the comparison! I like to use both Copics and pencils. Seems to depend on the mood I'm in and how detailed the image is. Love your blog! I check it out nearly every day.

Anonymous said...

WoW! Linda you did a terrific job on both of them. You are right small areas look much better with the copic markers. This demostration is awesome! THANKS for provinding the information about the colors been used. You are an angel from HEAVENS CREATED THIS!!!! Way to go...

Silvia

Terri said...

It goes without saying that both are colored beautifully...I couldn't even pick a favorite. Love seeing the two samples side by side! TFS!

dpkennedy said...

Washing windows? What's that?

I love them both-your coloring is so amazing that I can't say that I like one over the other-fabulous

Lisa T said...

I use both and I love both. I think Copics are faster but I find it much easier to do really little things with my pencil. (Bad eyesight + not the steadiest hand.) I also have many more pencils than copics. :( I am going to check out your tutorial on using pencils with Copics. I love your work and appreciate you sharing your knowledge with all of us!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails