Sunday, January 18, 2009

Thinking of You Hydrangeas

ETA (for Linda): The glitter on this card was done with stickles!
Hi Everyone...don't know what the weather is like where you live but it sucks here. I think we have been hit by snow about three times this week. I'm sure there are some folks who are just loving it, but me, not so much! The ONLY good thing about it is that the drift out my back door is providing a really nice spot for me to chill my wine! LOL!

Today was spent making some Thinking of You cards that a friend asked for. I thought I'd use my Kitchen Sink Hydrangea set which hasn't seen any ink yet and thought it would be quick and easy...like how much time can it take to just layer colours and stamp. Well it was a bit more time consuming than I thought! I must have spent a good part of the morning just dinking around with colour combos until I found one that appealed to me...then of course there was the assembly. Assembly is not my forte! I really just like to colour and I could be happy just passing them on to someone else to come up with a fantastic layout. But I persevered and this was the fruit of my labour.

Since it took me sooooo long to get the colour combo I think I'd better get it down in writing! For the flower I used Memento Angel Pink, SU River Rock, Adirondak Lettuce and finally Adirondak Pesto. The leaves were done with Adirondak Willow, Lettuce and SU Old Olive. The stem was hand drawn with my copic marker in YG21 and detailed with my pencils. I also used pencils on the leaves to add a bit more depth. The punch is Martha Stewart and the sentiment is Papertrey.

A couple other combo's I came up with for the flowers are as follows:

For a greener flower:
1) Adirondak willow, stamped off once
2) Adirondak willow again
3) Adirondak lettuce
4) Adirondak pesto

A nice purple combo (even tho I'm not a purple fan, I did like this one a lot):
1) SU Pale Plum stamped off once
2) SU Pale Plum again
3) SU Perfect plum
4) Adirondak espresso

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda, this card is sooo beautiful!! Your coloring makes the flower come to life. Our weather here is the same. Sucks! But wine makes everything better. See you soon, Mary.

Terri said...

This card is stunning and well worth all of your efforts...sometimes the ones that seem the easiest, end up taking the most time. Love the added glitter!

As far as temps ago, our forecast is for high 70's (even a couple low 80's) all week! Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Anonymous said...

I just spent 4 hours with my DH, who does the snowblowing and I do the shoveling - cleaning off the latest snowfall which occured overnight. We just did this yesterday and I'm tuckered out. I hate snow! But, I love this beautiful card you made!! I really needed that:) TFS

Anonymous said...

Wow... I have Snowball Hydrangeas and it's like this is a picture of them when they've lost the white. I couldn't believe it! I enlarged the card to take a better look... you almost made me cry with envy. It's perfect! I sure wish I could have gotten in your class where you are teaching shading!! God bless.
Linda

Anonymous said...

PS... may be a silly questions but, how do you apply your glitter? It doesn't look like it came directly from the bottle. Did you use a paintbrush or something?
Thanks. God bless.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Linda, I knew this was kitchen sink as soon as Mary showed it to me. I think they have super cool layered stamps, but I would not want to figure out the color combos. Theses are beautiful!!!! i love a pretty hydrangea...lol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails